Fungus Among Us

On the last leg of the Dark Hollow Rose River loop, a spot of color just off the trail caught my eye. It was a bright orange colored fungus growing on a decaying log. At least, I think it is safe to call it a fungus. I am not too familiar with the classification of mushrooms, lichens and things of that sort. I did spend some time searching Google, with search phrases like "orange shelf fungus" and "big orange lichen", but just did not find something that seemed to clearly match what I saw. The closest I found was a mushroom called Chicken of the Woods (because it supposedly tastes like chicken...you could have a nice T-Rex and mushroom soup, and it would taste very much like chicken soup), but I am not convinced that was what I saw growing on that log.

Orange Mushroom
Orange Mushroom

No comments: