Ring-necked Duck

Today was a beautiful day, and as I hinted in my previous post, I did make it out for some birdwatching and photography. I took a trip out to one of my favorite local birdwatching spots: Dutch Gap Conservation Area (sometimes referred to as Henricus, because DGCA is right next to the historical site). I am happy to report that, according to the birds, spring has sprung. There were plenty of just returned Tree Swallows flitting about, and I heard and saw my first of season Yellow-throated Warbler. The song of the Yellow-throated Warbler is one of the first I learned, and is one of the first I hear each spring. Whenever I hear it, I think spring and migration.

So, why is this post called "Ring-necked Duck"? I am usually a bit (and sometimes a lot) behind in the steps I follow to cull out what I consider decent photos. Add to that my usual two-posts-a-week blogging pace, and I am typically posting photos that I took a few weeks ago. Today is no exception. Today I am sharing a photo of a Ring-necked Duck that I took on a different visit to DGCA. I did not take this photo today, but back in February when it was colder and there were still lots of ducks bobbing about the marsh, waiting for their cue to head north. I was lucky to have great light, and my photo shows the chestnut colored ring (on the male) from which this species gets its name.

Ring-necked Duck

No comments: