White-eyed Vireo

After I got my photos of the Painted Bunting, I stepped out of the way to allow others to get their look. As I moved to the back of the crowd, several of us noticed that a mixed flock of birds was passing through the trees and underbrush right next to the feeders. One of the birds in that flock was a White-eyed Vireo.

As the flock moved through, it was interesting to me how close these birds were to us. In fact, the White-eyed Vireo was so close that I had to put my camera down. He was too close to photograph. I was using a 100-400mm lens because I expected to need it to get close to the birds. But not for this vireo. As he hopped around the brush just in front of me I had clear looks at the white eye from which he gets his name. As he moved away from me into the brush, I did manage to get a photo of him. The second photo is of another White-eyed Vireo, found later in the day.

[edit: fixed weird formatting caused by using Safari instead of Firefox]

White-eyed Vireo


White-eyed Vireo

No comments: