Northern Mockingbird

A bit like the Eastern Bluebird featured in my previous post, I find myself this week looking at three photographs of Northern Mockingbird. All three photos come from trips to DGCA in the month of March, but I think they might all be of the same bird. When you drive to the visitor center parking lot, there is always a Northern Mockingbird there to greet (scold?) you. He won't let you get too close, but when he perches he sits fairly still (when compared to something like a Blue-gray Gnatcatcher).

I think my neighborhood Northern Mockingbird is nesting in a bush on the edge of my front yard. I was surprised that this post is my first to include photos of a Northern Mockingbird (if you can trust that this blog's tags are accurate...big leap, I fear). Maybe I will get an opportunity or two to snap some photos of young Mockingbirds this spring. I am already thinking of how to prepare for overly defensive parents.

Northern Mockingbird


Northern Mockingbird


Northern Mockingbird

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful series. The 2nd one is my favorite for composition, natural perch and the bird's pose

Peggy said...

Excellent shots of this elusive bird, especially not hiding in thick cover!

troutbirder said...

Very nice pictures. I really enjoyed