Downy Woodpecker

Downy Woodpecker


I have this odd little tiki hut themed bar in my backyard (built by the previous owner). I have yet to take advantage of it for anything, until today. I parked my tripod and camera under it and used it as a "blind" so that I could take pictures of birds that came to my nearby feeder.

I put the word "blind" in quotes, because it really is not a blind. I am not really sure why this worked, but it did. Other than a small amount of fake tiki grass hanging down from the roof, I was essentially plainly visible. Just the camera and tripod between me and the birds. I was about ten to fifteen feet away.

After about 10 minutes of me just sitting very still and waiting, they started to come and eat. Even a squirrel was on the ground grubbing away, either ignorant of my presence, or simply uncaring. Maybe it was because my feeders had mostly gone empty during the previous week and I had just refilled them.

This is a picture of a Downy Woodpecker. I actually think this is an immature bird, born this year. I say this because the colors on his head and upper back seem very muted and grayish. I think this bird is nearing the end of his juvenile molt.

No comments: