Chipmunk Action

A couple weekends back I enjoyed the show that Mother Nature put on in my little backyard. There were lots of birds gathering food for nestlings, or leading fledged birds around and feeding them. There were also plenty of critters out and about. The usual gang of squirrels were out munching, chasing and generally being squirrels. But I also have two chipmunks (I think they are Eastern Chipmunk) that like to gather food in my backyard. Whatever bird seed falls to the ground, the chipmunks are there to get their fair share. They like to poke around and fill their cheeks up with as much food as possible. Then they take it to their stash, unload those cheeks, and come back for some more.

Here are three photos I took of the chipmunk action. The first is with unfilled cheeks ready for some new gathering, the second is an action shot with the chipmunk actively filling up those big cheeks and the third is a somewhat blurry photo of a chipmunk whose pose seems to suggest that they may have over-filled those cheeks just a tad.

Eastern Chipmunk
Eastern Chipmunk
Eastern Chipmunk

No comments: