Gray Catbird

As I hinted at yesterday, my backyard is small. And just beyond my fence line there is an interstate highway. But somewhere near my backyard a pair of Gray Catbirds have made a home. Perhaps it is the stand of trees that run between the houses in my neighborhood and the interstate. Or perhaps it is the collection of plants and trees in some neighbor's yard. Whatever the location, the catbirds have made a home, and they have decided that my peanut suet is worth visiting.

One thing I like about the Gray Catbird is that, despite their overall gray appearance, they have this patch of rust color on their undertail coverts. That is a nice dash of color, on an otherwise drab bird. And when you see that color in the field, it can be fulfilling. It is almost like you have not really seen the catbird until you see the flash of that rust color. From these pictures, you can barely get a glimpse of that rust color, on the underside of the tail near the body.

Gray Catbird
Gray Catbird

No comments: