New Birds

One of the interesting things for me, when I visit a part of the country that I have never been to before, is the possibility of seeing a new species of birds. The recent trip to Yellowstone was not a bird watching trip, but I can't help but look at birds. I suspect that Tammy would argue that I was doing plenty of bird watching, but the focus on this trip was touring and sight-seeing (including maybe seeing a new bird or two).

On the first day of our trip, after we arrived in Salt Lake City, we took the afternoon to explore Antelope Island. To get to the island, you have to drive along this long causeway out into the lake. As we began along the causeway, I realized what a spectacular bird watching destination it was. There were shore birds on both sides of the road, and it was difficult not stopping and scanning each and every bird.

I did stop a couple times to look and take some pictures. Here are a couple of the photos. The first photo is of an American Avocet, with his odd up-turned bill. I have seen this species before, but they are so neat looking that I always have to stop and look whenever I see one. The second photo is of a Long-billed Curlew, also with an odd bill, but his is long (hence the name) and downward curved. This was the first time I had ever seen this species (and the real reason I stopped to look to see what else might be around).

American Avocet
Long-billed Curlew

No comments: