Sora

You don't see a Sora everyday.

I am still trudging through the photos that I took two weekends ago in the Orlando area. The last group of photos was actually not in Orlando, but near Titusville and Cape Canaveral, within Merritt Island NWR. If you like seeing wildlife, and you are visiting the eastern coast of Florida near Jacksonville or Orlando, then you should check out Merritt Island NWR. Its primary access to the public is the Blackpoint Wildlife Drive, where you drive through the park.

While I was in Merritt Island NWR I saw lots of birds. I pulled my car over at one point so that I could take a look at some distant birds via my spotting scope when I heard an odd noise behind me in the underbrush on the other side of the drive. I left my scope and walked across the road so that I could find the source of that noise, and discovered a Sora creeping about in the bushes.

I was very excited to actually see a Sora. They are usually a bird that you only hear calling because their preferred habitat is wetlands with lots of vegetation. I was even more excited to have my camera in hand with the correct lens. Here are a few photos. Once you can tell his legs apart from the vegetation, be sure to appreciate his long toes.

Sora
Sora
Sora

No comments: